[Plan your World Tour]
Part 1 : Book Your Flights Tickets
A World Tour is an exciting project, but it requires a lot of organization, starting with the plane tickets ! We are all familiar with these many questions that run throught our heads: when to book my tickets? At what price? How do I do this? Don’t panic, The Travel Quest will help you step by step !
The Round-The-World Ticket
Many travel agencies specializing in World Tours offer what are simply called “Round the World Tickets”. This is a set of grouped one-way plane tickets that will allow you to travel all around the World. In this case, nothing could be easier, you give the destinations you want to go to and the time you want to spend there and the agency takes care of the rest…
Average cost: between $1,500 and $3,000 (the cost can fluctuate according to your itinerary).
- Avoid flight comparison website and organizational hours before departure.
- Most agencies allow you to change flight dates at no extra cost.
- You will be able to enjoy your trip in peace, without worrying about the next flight to book.
- Flying is often the biggest cost of a round-the-world trip, this type of ticket will give you a better idea of your remaining budget.
- Once you have purchased your ticket, the itinerary will be much less flexible than if you decide to book yourself the tickets one by one.
- Round-the-world tickets are governed by many rules that you must respect. All the details right here !
- A limited duration of 1 year and uncovered destinations (mainly in Africa).
If you are a real adventurer who hates to plan trips in advance, and if you are not afraid to spend hours on flight comparison websites, we strongly advise to book your tickets by yourself. Moreover, if you plan to travel for more than one year, we also recommend that you book your tickets by yourself, since a Round the World Ticket is only valid for one year. This will also allow you to reduce your carbon footprint by favoring land-based routes (train, bus, stop, etc.).
5 tips to book cheaper tickets
Even though flying is the fastest and easiest way to travel around the World, we know that it’s also the most expensive. But the price of a ticket can fluctuate: it evolves like a Pokemon, but unlike them, it evolves several times a day! Depending on the time of the day, available seats, site traffic, oil prices, competition and even… political events! It can therefore be difficult to get the right price at the right time. However, we have some tips to save on your tickets !
1. Get information on prices
First and foremost, you should be able to estimate more or less the price of the ticket you want. It is important to know at what maximum price you are willing to pay for your ticket.
2. Try several dates
Avoid holidays, warm countries during winter, dates of major World events…etc. But prefer weekdays or, “superstitious” days (ex: Friday 13, 11 September…).
3. Be flexible
On your departure days, your departure times, your arrival city, the number of stopovers…etc. Your flight might be cheaper 2 days before the departure date you set for yourself or if it takes off at 4am!
4. Book your flight in advance
Based on numerous studies carried out by airlines and flight comparison websites : Book between 2 and 4 months in advance for short-haul flights, and from 4 to 8 months for long-distance flights.
5. The Best Tip
Airlines tend to inflate round-trip ticket prices, so some airlines may offer single tickets at a lower cost. It is therefore sometimes more interesting to take 2 single tickets rather than a round-trip ticket.
Stay tuned for the next parts of our World Tour special feature !
© 2019 All rights reserved